- This event has passed.
Words Matter: Language, Stigma, and Discrimination against People with Substance Use Disorders
February 2, 2021 @ 9:00 am - 10:30 am
One event on January 5, 2021 at 9:00 am
One event on February 2, 2021 at 9:00 am
One event on February 9, 2021 at 9:30 am
BHDDH and RICARES are offering a series of four trainings called Words Matter: Language, Stigma, and Discrimination against People with Substance Use Disorders. Words Matter provides an in-depth introduction to stigma against people with Substance Use Disorders (SUDs) and how it limits people in seeking treatment and recovery. In contrast to trainings that use a (scientifically controversial) implicit bias framework, RICARES’s workshop focuses on the practical impact of stigma on relationships and interpersonal power dynamics in community, treatment, and other health care settings.
Topics to be addressed include:
– The multilevel structure of stigma and discrimination against people with SUDs
– The intersection of stigma with racism and other modes of social marginalization
– Negative stereotypes about SUDs and their scientific inaccuracy
– The importance of person-first and medically accurate language
– The public health and personal impact of stigma
Employing a process-based approach that encourages self-reflection, this training equips participants to think about the destructive effect of stigma and provides easy, practical strategies to combat stigma in the course of their everyday work.
Participants will have the option of choosing one of four possible dates for this training which will be offered once in December and January, and twice in February.
Dates – The four options for this training are as follows:
1) December: 12/17/2020, 9:30 – 11:00 am
2) January: 1/05/2021, 9:00 – 10:30 am
3) February #1: 2/02/2021, 9:00 – 10:30 am
4) February #2: 2/09/2021, 9:30 – 11:00 am
Registration – Participants need to register for one of the four possible sessions:
1) To register for the December session (12/17/20, 9:30 – 11:00 am), please click here.
2) To register for the January session (1/05/21, 9:00 – 10:30 am), please click here.
3) To register for the first February session (2/02/21, 9:00 – 10:30 am), please click here.
4) To register for the second February session (2/09/21, 9:30 – 11:00 am), please click here.